VISIT TROYES ...
Ideally located in the heart of the "cap" of the city of Troyes, you will be close to all attractions (museums, restaurants, shopping ...) Below you find the essential tourist places.
The Cathedral of Troyes
The Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul cathedral, is a Catholic religious building, located in the city of Troyes, in the department of Aube in the Grand-Est region (France). Episcopal seat of the diocese of Troyes the cathedral was classified as a historical monument by list of 1862. It is this cathedral which is the seat of the council of Troyes which begins January 13, 1129, during which the order of the Knights Templar is confirmed and its defined role. The Treaty of Troyes is signed May 21, 1420 in the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul Troyes11,12. It provides that King Charles VI will have as successor for the crown of France the King of England Henry V after the latter wife Catherine de Valois, one of the daughters of Charles VI ...
The Heart of Troyes
New symbol of the city, the heart will be an essential place especially in the evening to immortalize your passage in the city through a selfie.
The House of the Tool and the Workers' Thought
This museum located in Troyes in France, in a Renaissance-style mansion (1556) called Hôtel de Mauroy. The House of Tool and Working Thought houses a collection of hand-shaping tools from the 18th and 19th centuries. In 65 windows, 11,000 tools called "hand shaping" are offered to the visitor to discover a hundred trades of wood, iron, leather and stone. This collection was initiated by Father Paul Feller, a Jesuit and a professional who put his passion at the service of the transmission of knowledge. The museum welcomes between 16,000 and 25,000 visitors a year. Witnesses of the evolution of techniques, the exposed tools lead the tradesmen to wonder about their practice. Each year, thematic exhibitions around craft families presented at the House of the Tool are organized. The animation of the Museum, realization of the General Council of the Dawn and the city of Troyes, has been entrusted since 1969 to the Compagnons du Devoir of the Tour de France.
St. Urbain Basilica
The Saint-Urbain Basilica of Troyes is a large Gothic church located in Troyes, Episcopal city of southern Champagne. Reference monument of the radiant Gothic, Saint-Urbain is remarkable for the unity of its style, due to the exceptional means that the Pope put at the service of this construction in the 1260: architecture leaves all the space to the windows. Due to financial difficulties, its construction was interrupted and was resumed between the 13th century and the 20th century, when the basilica was finally completed.
The Vauluisant Museum
The museum Vauluisant (or museum of hosiery) is a museum of Troyes dedicated to the Trojan art of the sixteenth century and hosiery. He occupies the Vauluisant hotel which is classified.
The Saint Madeleine Church
The construction of the Sainte-Madeleine church began in the 12th century. It is the oldest church in Troyes. However it is rebuilt around 1200 in the early Gothic style, retaining some Romanesque elements in the nave. Around 1500, the apse and the choir are renovated in flamboyant Gothic. The Renaissance-style tower dates from 1525, as does the flamboyant Gothic portal of the old cemetery. The nave will, in turn, be restored in the 19th century. Sainte-Madeleine draws attention by the number of its jewels. It is one of the few churches in France to have preserved its rood screen Renaissance, lace of stone due to the sculptor Jehan Gailde. The ambulatory shines with superb stained glass windows from the same period (around the year 1500) characterized by strong drawings, shimmering colors and a great technical refinement. We can admire the abundant Tree of Jesse, a Genesis that presents a Celestial Father dressed as Pope or the legend of Saint Eloi. Finally, in a side-aisle, sits the statue of St. Martha, one of the masterpieces of the master of Chaource.
The alley of cats
Very narrow, it gives an idea of the cobbled medieval streets with a central channel for the flow of water. Rebuilt after the great fire of 1524, the half-timbered and cantilevered houses widen in height. The floors overflow on the street to increase their surface: the tax was calculated on the surface on the ground. This alley owes its name to the fact that a cat can, indeed, pass from one side to the other of the street, while passing by the roofs. The facades touch from the top, and are held by props.
The Turret of the Goldsmith
The House of Goldsmith is a mansion of the sixteenth century located in Troyes at 9, Rue Champeaux It was built between 1578 and 1618 for François Roize, goldsmith, and his wife Nicole Boulanger. The turret is supported by three faunas. The House of Goldsmith is classified among the historical monuments since 1961.
AND ITS SURROUNDINGS...
The Church Of Isle-Aumont
This church remains exceptional by its history. Opidium in the Neolithic, Celtic place of worship, shrine dedicated to Mercury during the Roman occupation, Merovingian abbey and necropolis, priory and finally stop for the pilgrims of Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle from the 12th century. The building is classified as historical monuments in 19672. The church consists of a nave with a Gothic portal which was decorated with the arms of France, Burgundy and Champagne; these blazons were hammered. Four spans lead to a tower that overcomes the former altar of the 10th century, behind is the round apse with three windows and a later altar. This nave has a rounded wooden ceiling. The second nave, located south of the first, is of the same length, with a wooden ceiling. This nave is decorated with a work bench, a pulpit and a terminal altar of the 18th century. A whole series of statues adorn the walls: Saint Roch, Saint Claude, two Christ on the cross. The south side was removed in the sixteenth century and the north in the nineteenth century. The current roof, the three gables of the north portal and the exterior coatings date from the restoration campaign of the beginning of the 21st century.
Abbey of Clairvaux
Founded by Saint Bernard in 1115, this abbey has welcomed up to 888 monks. The abbey of Clairvaux is a former Cistercian abbey located in the town of Ville-sous-la-Ferte, fifteen kilometers from Bar-sur-Aube, in the Aube. It was founded in 1115 by Bernard of Clairvaux and some companions, sent by Étienne Harding, abbot of Cîteaux. The personality of St. Bernard gave him a considerable influence. With La Ferté, Pontigny, and Morimond it forms the group of primary abbeys (first foundations) of Cîteaux, itself the very first abbey of the Cistercian order. It is by far the most prolific, with eighty abbeys-girls. She welcomed up to 888 monks. It is suppressed during the French Revolution. In 1808 it was transformed by Napoleon into the biggest prison of France.
Saint-Jean-Baptiste Church of Chaource
The Church of St. John the Baptist is a Roman Catholic rite church, Gothic style, located on the Church Square in Chaource, France. The building is classified as a historical monument in 1840. In this church you will absolutely have to visit the Chapel of the Sepulcher where you will be able to contemplate the most beautiful entombment of Europe. On the slab of the tomb, the cadaverous body of Christ is lying, the torso slightly raised by Joseph of Arimathea who keeps raising the holy shroud, to present his son to the Virgin Mary. The scene is strikingly realistic. His face remains in shadow, for the hour of the Resurrection has not arrived. Nicodemus is at the feet of his master raising the shroud, he is wearing a pilgrim's outfit, carrying the purse. Marie is leaning over her son, his face gnawed by pain. St. John is placed behind her with a serious look, supporting the Virgin. Marie-Salomé is slightly behind, hands crossed, eyes down. Mary Magdalene is present by her side holds a vase of perfume in her hand. Mary Cleophas, wears the crown of thorns, looking at the face of Christ.
Castle of La Motte-Tilly
The castle of La Motte-Tilly is located in the town of the same name in the department of Aube on the left bank of the Seine less than 7 kilometers southwest of Nogent-sur-Seine. The interiors of the commons are the subject of an inscription as a historical monument since September 2, 1943. The castle, the chapel (facades and roofs), small pavilions on the main courtyard (facades and roofs) and common (facades and roofs); the main courtyard, the bier-de-loup, the wrought-iron gate, and finally, the park, with its terraces and canal are classified as historical monuments since September 16, 1946. Open to the public since 1978, the castle is managed by the Center des monuments nationaux.