The historic city center of Troyes is more commonly called "the Champagne cork" because as you can see on the map, the contours that delimit it look like it.
The apartment & the studio are in the heart of this traffic jam and close to all the city's museums and places of interest.
At the entrance to the apartments, documentation on the monuments and activities as well as maps of the city and its surroundings are at your disposal.
The tourist office is located on the square opposite the apartments and will be able to provide you with any additional information you may need. There are also guided tours of the city. More info on: https://www.tourisme-troyes.com
Download the map of Troyes from the tourist office
We have specially designed 3 courses for you: :
You can also discover the other sites of interest to visit around Troyes click here
North path to visit Troyes / Parcours nord du bouchon
10. Musée Saint-Loup (Musée des Beaux-Arts, Archéologie & Histoire Naturelle)
Above you will find the map of all there is to see in the North of the "Bouchon de champagne". We have made a logical route that will allow you to optimize your time in order to see the different museums, monuments, churches and sculptures.
We present below the different points of interest in order of route.
1. La Basilique Saint-Urbain**
The Basilica of Saint-Urbain in Troyes is a reference monument of radiant Gothic, remarkable for the unity of its style. The Pope put exceptional means at the service of its construction in the 1260s: the architecture then gave way to windows. Due to financial difficulties, its construction was interrupted and it was resumed and then completed between the 13th century and the 20th century.
2. Les Jardins de la Préfecture* (Place de la libération)
Located at the foot of the Prefecture and the Hôtel du Département, Place de la Liberation is a place steeped in history.
This square was built on the site of an old cemetery and a double church which was demolished at the end of the 18th century to make way for an ephemeral grain market.
4. Sculpture La Ribambelle Joyeuse **
This set of sculptures represents a group of children accompanied by a penguin and a duck. Combining fantasy and Belgian humor, the Belgian artist "Tom Frantzen" known for his creations on the border between reality and fantasy is strongly marked by the influence of Pieter Brueghel and Jérôme Bosch. This work enriches the artistic journey undertaken following the requalification of the quays of the Seine.
5. Musée d'art moderne**
With the former episcopal palace of Troyes dating from the 16th and 17th centuries as its setting, the Museum of Modern Art of Troyes is one of the richest museums of modern art in the provinces of France. Born from the donation to the State of the collections brought together by the textile industrialists Pierre and Denise Lévy, the museum houses a remarkable selection of paintings, sculptures, drawings, glassware and ceramics representing the major currents of French art of 1850 and 1960. The Museum of Modern Art has closed for renovation until 2021.
6. Le cellier Saint-Pierre**
he Saint-Pierre cellar located at the foot of the cathedral of Troyes, can welcome you for tastings.
The cellar and the distillery allow you to discover a wide choice of wines, as well as their specialty, Prunelle de Troyes. Prunelle de Troyes is a liqueur at 40°, made from sloe pits. It is made using sloe stones which are crushed and macerated in alcohol, before being double distilled in the still. Its manufacturing secret is based on the marriage with other natural ingredients which give it its complexity and its gourmet and sweet almond taste. It has been distilled since 1840, and its recipe won the gold medal at the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1900. It was once Prunelle de Champagne, renamed prunelle de Troyes in 1998 at the request of the Champagne winemakers committee.
Philippe Formont runs the house bought by his father in 1933. The young Alexandre Krumenacher oversees the distillation. Prunelle de Troyes can be eaten as a digestive, possibly iced, as a "champenois hole" on a sorbet or on frozen nougat, in a cocktail with champagne or simply as a treat...
7. La Cathédrale de Troyes**
Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul Cathedral is the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Troyes, classified as a historical monument in 1862. It hosted the "Council of Troyes" in 1129, during which the order of the Templars was confirmed and its defined role.
The Treaty of Troyes was signed there on May 21, 1420: it provides that King Henry V of England will succeed King Charles VI of France, after his marriage to Catherine of Valois (one of Charles VI's daughters).
8. L'église Saint-Nizier**
On the site of the Saint-Nizier church once stood a small church dedicated to Saint-Maur. In 582, the relics of Saint Nizier were brought from Lyon and placed in Saint-Maur. Construction work on the current church took place from 1528 to 1619.
The church was consecrated in 1542 without the nave being covered (it was not until 1582). Saint-Nizier de Troyes is globally Gothic in style. The first two bays of the nave, the western portal and the northern portal are in the Renaissance style. Its vault is remarkable for its variety of ribs.
The church includes a magnificent collection of 16th century stained glass windows on the main themes of Christianity: Passion, Calvary, Resurrection, Pentecost, Lives of Saints, Tree of Jesse, Apocalypse, Last Judgment... Saint-Nizier is also home to a splendid Entombment as well as a famous Christ of Mercy and a very expressive Pieta, three works from the Trojan school of sculpture in the 16th century.
9. La maison du Dauphin*
The Maison du Dauphin is one of the oldest houses in Troyes; the date 1472 is inscribed on its mantelpiece. Did the draper-weaver who occupied this house at the time have had the honor of trading with the "Dauphin"? Still, the coat of arms of the eldest son of King François 1er is engraved on the corner post at the corner of the streets Célestin-Philbois and Kléber, perhaps to show that the trade was a supplier of the royal house...
Restored in 2004 and six bays long, the Maison du Dauphin is typical of Troyes architecture, with its mullioned windows and its corbelling, and has a front farmhouse on rue Kléber and another on the rear facade.
10. Le musée Saint-Loup** (musée des beaux arts & archéologie + muséum d'histoire naturelle)
Le musée des Beaux-Arts et d’Archéologie is located in the Saint-Loup abbey which initially occupied the site of the current Saint-Martin-ès-Aires abbey. Destroyed at the end of the 9th century, it was restored in the 12th century near the cathedral, in its current location. This museum owes its existence to the revolutionary confiscations. Since then, the collections have continued to grow thanks to legacies, donations, in particular that of the Trésor de Pouan (funerary furniture from a princely tomb dated from the 5th century) made by the Emperor Napoleon III in 1861, and to purchases such as that of the magnificent Apollon de Vaupoisson acquired in 1820. Over the years, the major development works in the town and the region have revealed many vestiges which have been added to the initial collection. It offers the visitor a very coherent set of French paintings from the 14th to the 19th century. The great stylistic movements that marked the pictorial art during these five centuries are represented there, most often, by works of the very first order. Among the preserved masterpieces: "L'homme au lute" by Rubens, "L'Enchanteur" and "L'Aventurière" by Watteau, "Ruines de Dresde" by Bernardo Belloto, and "Spirit of Baculard by Arnaud" , nicknamed Jean-Baptiste Greuze's little girl with a cat. But the museum also has in reserve the 3rd collection of French sculpture from the 19th century after Orsay and Angers! More information
Le Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle of Troyes dates back to the end of the 18th century. Compiled by professors from the central school of the department of Aube (establishment of public instruction created during the French Revolution), its first collections (from the National Museum of Natural History, the Ecole des Mines de Paris, of the office of the Comte de Brienne) are intended for teaching. The challenge today is to bring these collections to life and to link them to today's world while respecting their history. The role of the museum is to conserve, study and enrich the collections but also to disseminate them, to make them accessible to all, both to researchers and specialists and to the wider public, in order to continue this effort of transmission and development of scientific knowledge. More information
11. Hôtel Dieu Le Comte - La Cité du vitrail*** & L'Apothicairerie*
La Cité du Vitrail settles in the heart of downtown Troyes in the west wing of the Hôtel-Dieu-le-Comte, a remarkable 18th century complex located on the Quai des Comtes-de-Champagne. You will discover the secrets of stained glass thanks to a permanent exhibition of original works. It addresses both the creation of stained glass and its historical chronology, its specific techniques implemented, and provides keys to understanding to decipher this art.
This is the starting point for discovering the art of stained glass. You can then discover the stained glass windows in situ thanks to the Stained Glass Route.
The entrance of Apothicairerie is always done through the historic door, directly from a large reception hall, shared with the Cité du vitrail. The large 63 m² room has its collections exhibited identically to its 18th century state.
The collection of 319 painted wooden boxes is unique in France and seems to have been made for the installation in the pharmacy. Each of the rectangular boxes dating from the 18th century has a cartouche containing the representation and the name of the product contained.
The Apothecary also has earthenware: majolica, albarelli, Hispano-Moorish (16th century), Italo-Moorish (16th century), Italo-French (17th century) and French Renaissance (early 17th century) pillboxes, as well as a set of nearly 300 rustic earthenware pots (Nevers style) from the 18th century, soberly decorated with garlands of foliage and blue flowers, including goats, cannon jars, pillboxes, bottles. In addition to these two exceptional sets, there are many pharmacy items. Remedies were still prepared there until 1961. More information
12. Sculpture Attendez-moi**
Installed on the old swing bridge, Quai Dampierre, since the end of 2018, this humorous and poetic work presents a small dog which frightens a group of geese and causes them to fly, the work of the Belgian sculptor Tom Frantzen. This group is reminiscent of the cranes that fly over the department of Aube every year.
14. Sculpture illuminée Le Cœur de Troyes***
It is the new emblem of the city. Tourists love to take pictures there. Children play at getting wet from the water jets that surround it.
This stainless steel lace was designed by a couple of artists from Aube (Michèle and Thierry Kayo-Houël) and manufactured in a factory in Troyes (Sotralinox).
It is a work of finesse that does not weigh its weight: 2 tons, but which displays measurements worthy of entering the record books: 4 meters wide, 3.5 meters high, 2 meters deep.
15. Les maisons restaurées de la rue Passerat **
The terraced houses restored in 1978 innovate in the technique of restoration since a brick slab is associated with the timber framings.
The filling material is traditionally cob, in other words a mixture of straw and clay, to which cow hair or horse hair, or even dung, was once added.
One of the houses in the rue Passerat is also remarkable for its facade covered with wooden tiles (essentes or shingles) which protect it from the weather.
16. Le Théâtre de Champagne *
It replaces the Troyes circus, built in 1861, which could accommodate a thousand people and was lit by gas, but which was destroyed by fire in 1892. In 1893, the Plège circus had a new one built on the Mail St-Nicolas adjoining at the Beurnonville barracks and accommodated two thousand people, destroyed by a new fire in 1901.
The municipality decides to build one in stone. The architect Henri Schmitt erected the current building on the Mail Preize and from 1903 it could host all kinds of events such as boxing matches, Marcel Cerdan came there. It was inaugurated on March 18, 19052. In September 1930 it was modified by the architect Denis Tsaropoulos.
In 1967, the city transformed the building into a convention center. The circus was registered as a historical monument in 19751 and also has the label "Heritage of the 20th century". The monument was converted and renamed “Théâtre de Champagne” in 1978 and obtained the status of municipal theatre.
17. L'Eglise et la place Saint-Rémy*
L’église Saint-Rémy is one of the oldest in Troyes: its existence has been proven since the 10th century. It is then outside the walls of the city and depends on the canons of the cathedral. Included in the new enclosure built in the 13th century. the church then underwent multiple enlargements and transformations. It also received new stained glass windows paid for by wealthy Trojan families. Its 12th century bell tower. was renovated in 1360. Its slate spire, 62 meters high, is twisted which gives it better resistance to the winds. This technique is a real architectural feat in the 14th century! The 15th century portal. is sheltered under a wooden porch which replaced in the 19th century. the old narthex (entrance portico).
On the tower is painted a clock face decorated with rays of the sun and with a single needle (the mechanism no longer works today). At the top in the corners, we see two angels holding, one a dove which flies away, symbol of the birth of the day, the other a lighted torch, symbol of the night. The characters on each side are Saint Rémy on the right and his mother Saint Célinie on the left.
Further down, on the buttress of the tower, an 18th century sundial. indicates, when the weather is fine, the time of the sun (or true time). The Latin inscription that reads below "SICUT UMBRA DIES NOSTRI SUPER TERRAM" means "On earth, our days pass like a shadow". The interior of the church is lit by large Gothic trefoil bays. You can admire several paintings by the Trojan painter Jacques de Létin (1597-1661) and, above the high altar, the famous bronze Christ by François Girardon, a Trojan sculptor (1628-1715) to whom we also owe the fountains of the Palace of Versailles. Threatened with destruction, the church was saved from demolition by the protests of the inhabitants and classified as a Historic Monument in 1908.
La place Saint-Remy As for it, full of cafes and bars offering snacks, it has become one of the favorite places of the Trojans to have an aperitif and snack in the early evening or have a coffee or breakfast on market days.
18. Le Marché des Halles**
On March 1, 1874, the covered market of Troyes, built on the site of the former College of the Unicorn (high knowledge of the Middle Ages), was inaugurated. At the time, it was the largest in France, it was inspired by the halls of Paris, built by Victor Baltard. It has an area of 2,500 m², 60 m x 42 m, and contains 154 places. The outer facades of the perimeter are decorated, above each column, with a lion's head in cast iron, surmounted by a palmette. There are 6 doors. The metal framework includes 100 tons of cast iron and 195 tons of iron.
From 1980, in competition with supermarkets, it was renovated with all the qualities of comfort, mezzanine and underground parking. Today, the Halles are full of producers or retailers of local products, we invite you to consult the "Drink & Eat" section of our site.
19. La Feuille de Troyes*
In bead-blasted stainless steel (bead-blasting is a surface treatment consisting of spraying micro-beads onto a stainless steel or aluminum part), La Feuille monumentale, by Thierry and Michèle Kayo-Houël, brings modernity to the forecourt of the Marché des Halles.
The sculpture was entirely produced locally: designed by these artists residing in Payns, with the assistance of the metalwork and ironwork company Arts et Forges, in La Chapelle Saint-Luc, and the Bonenfant bodywork workshops, in Buchères, it was finally transported and installed by Trans Manu Machines, based in Bréviandes, all with the support of the services of the City of Troyes.
La Feuille is reminiscent of the iconic sculpture of the Heart of Troyes, created by the same artists, installed on the Quai des Comtes de Champagne.
The sheet in numbers:
- micro-blasted stainless steel structure with dimensions of 3.54 m in height; 7.5 m in length; 7 m in width,
- 185 linear meters of round tube 42 mm in diameter,
- 2.5 tons including 125 m² of 4 mm thick stainless steel sheet,
- 140 hours of study, 3D layout and model, - 1600 hours of production in the workshop,
- 40 hours of water jet cutting,
- 70 hours of bead blasting with projection of 1 ton of glass microbeads at 5 bars (pressure force).
20. L'Hôtel de ville**
In the 17th century, the town council decided to build a new town hall. Louis XIII authorized the allocation of a small part of the revenue from taxes on wine and salt for this purpose. The building was therefore built little by little and was not completed until around 1672. Two wings were added to the rear in 1933 and 1937 by the architect F. Balley. The central facade with blue Tournai marble columns is pierced with a niche housing a helmeted Minerva, which replaces a statue of Louis XIV destroyed during the French Revolution.
The monumental fireplace in the Municipal Council room is still adorned with a large wooden medallion bearing the effigy of this king, sculpted in 1687 by the Trojan François Girardon (1628-1715).
Another memorable trace of the Revolution on the facade, the revolutionary motto which appeared at the time on all the town halls of France is intact here: “Unity, Indivisibility of the Republic, Liberty, Equality, Fraternity or Death”.
Parcours sud du bouchon
Above you will find the map of all there is to see in the South of the "bouchon de champagne". We have created a logical route that will allow you to optimize your time in order to see the various museums, monuments, churches, sculptures, parks and gardens.
We present below the different points of interest in order of route.
21. La rue Champeaux***
As soon as you enter this street, you will notice the "completely crooked" appearance of the first building on the left. Locals often hear this question from tourists "do you think the floor is level inside? Yes, we can assure you that everything is more or less level, even if it regularly happens that you can see from one end of the the room to another a level difference of 2 or 3cm.
Rue Champeaux is the tourist street par excellence because it is full of charm thanks to this typical architecture of the Middle Ages with sublime buildings such as the Tourelle de l'Orfèvre and the Hôtel Juvénal des Ursins. You will find a large number of restaurants there. We invite you to consult the "Drink & Eat" section of our site to find the best addresses.
22. La Tourelle de l'Orfèvre***
La Maison de l'Orfèvre is a 16th century mansion located at 9, Rue Champeaux. It was built between 1578 and 1618 for François Roize, goldsmith, and his wife Nicole Boulanger. The turret is supported by three fauns. The Maison de l'Orfèvre has been classified as a historical monument since 1961.
23. Eglise Saint-Jean au Marché*
The Saint-Jean-l'Évangéliste church is located here in the 9th century. : Louis le Bègue would have been crowned King of France there by Pope John VII. Destroyed around 889-892 by Norman looters, it was probably rebuilt in wood like most buildings of that time. But the fairs of Champagne which made the fortune of the city still allow to raise it and it takes the name of Saint Jean au Marché. In the XIII and XIV centuries. , the church was totally rebuilt, this time in stone, as we see it today. The choir and the transept, damaged by the great fire of Troyes in 1524, were rebuilt at the beginning of the 16th century. Outside, the church was flanked by small cubicles (maisonettes), destroyed in the course of the 20th century.
The bell tower, located at the southwest corner of the building, collapsed in 1911, taking with it the western facade during the demolition of the cubicles. Its wooden structure contained the bells currently deposited in the north and south aisles, which hardly suffered from the accident.
In June 1420, the wedding of King Henry V of England to Catherine of France, daughter of Charles VI and Isabeau of Bavaria, took place there. This marriage follows the “Shameful Treaty of Troyes”: sworn at the Cathedral of Troyes on May 21, 1420, it provides that the kingdom of France will return to Henry V on the death of Charles VI. It was also celebrated there, on April 17, 1620, the baptism of Marguerite Bourgeoys, a young Trojan woman, who left her city, her country, her family, her ties and left for Ville-Marie, in New France (Canada), in 1653, to establish religious education there: the congregation of Notre-Dame de Montréal.
24. Hôtel Juvénal des Ursins**
This Renaissance-style hotel has belonged since the beginning of the 15th century. to a large Trojan family of drapers and magistrates, the Jouvenels, ennobled under the name of Juvénal des Ursins. Rue Champeaux was also called “rue de la Draperie”.
Jean Jouvenel or Juvénal (circa 1360-1431), magistrate in Troyes then in Paris, was appointed in 1388, provost of the merchants of Paris. Among his sixteen children, Jean, Archbishop of Reims, participated in the revision of the trial of Joan of Arc, and Guillaume (1401-1472), was Chancellor of the Kings of France Charles VII then Louis XI; Jacques is the sponsor of a famous manuscript richly illustrated with miniatures: the Mare historiarum by Giovanni Colonna (kept at the National Library of France).
The hotel was rebuilt in white stone after the great fire of 1524. The facade with large molded mullioned windows is adorned with a beautiful oriel window in the Gothic style with three sides, surmounted by a finely sculpted up-to-date turret (restored in the 17th century). The interior stained glass depicts the Donors and The Crucifixion. The roof has a large 15th century Gothic skylight. from an earlier building.
25. La Ruelle des Chats***
Rue Maillard in the 15th century. , its inhabitants quickly got into the habit of calling it "Cats' Alley", which became its official name: "the roofs, by dint of contemplating each other for centuries, have been seized with reciprocal tenderness... Cats can pass from one attic to another without risking a misstep»
Paved in the old fashioned way, as were the streets of Troyes from the 13th century, the lane of the cats has a central channel according to the use of the time: the privileged "held the top of the pavement" so as not to get dirty.
26. La Cour Du Mortier d'Or**
The very pretty Mortier d'Or courtyard will allow you to see the back of the half-timbered houses, with their beautiful passageways. The ends of the beams are carved with subjects often inspired by war. The whole was restored in 1981 by the Compagnons du Devoir.
Note also the old lighting. As early as 1534, the City Council decided to light Troyes, during the periods of Champagne fairs, with tallow candles in lanterns.
In 1766, there are 150 public lanterns lit in winter in the main streets. Tallow gave way to oil in 1800, then to gas in 1842 and electricity arrived at the beginning of the 20th century.
The rue du Mortier d'Or was part of the current rue des Quinze-Vingts. This owes its name to the house owned, at No. 3, by the Quinze-Vingts hospice, founded in Paris by King Saint Louis in favor of 300 knights returning from the Crusade with their eyes gouged out: the hospice has then 15 rooms with 20 beds.
27. Jardin Juvénal des Ursins**
Framed by the streets Paillot-de-Montabert, Charbonnet, Champeaux and the Ruelle des Chats, a Renaissance-style garden has been laid out behind the Hôtel Juvénal-des-Ursins.
Combining intimacy and a sought-after plant composition, this 500 m² green space was designed by the City according to the sketch proposed by Éric Pallot, Chief Architect of Historic Monuments. The facades and trees of the garden are highlighted by LED lighting. In addition to their aesthetic interests, the species chosen (trees, flowers and plants) reconcile history and ecological qualities because they contribute to developing biodiversity in the heart of the city. This garden also participates in the enhancement of the Hôtel Juvénal-des-Ursins, jewel of the "Beau 16e s. troyen" and creates a new urban breath.
28. Jardin des Innocents**
Adjoining the Sainte-Madeleine Church, the Jardin des Innocents has been laid out over an old cemetery. It adorns the remains of a funerary gallery vaulted with pointed arches, through a scenography inspired by medieval times and the liturgy of the church.
When you enter, you will travel to the heart of the history of this place, which is one of the oldest churches in Troyes. Here, the plants were not chosen at random, but carry in each of them a very particular message. The colors, green and white, are particularly in the spotlight, because they symbolize eternity, purity and wisdom. In addition, you will be able to observe a diversified and rich flora there, through spaces of natural biodiversity arranged by the service of the Landscape spaces.
At the heart of the history of Troyes, the garden of the Innocents also brings you into a soft and warm atmosphere, ideal for recharging your batteries. It is, in a way, a hidden side of the Sainte-Madeleine Church, which is well worth the detour to treat yourself to a bubble of culture!
29. Eglise Sainte-Madeleine***
Construction of this church began in the 12th century, making it the oldest in Troyes. It was rebuilt around 1200 in the Gothic style, retaining some Romanesque elements in the nave. Around 1500, the apse and the choir were renovated in Flamboyant Gothic. The tower (in Renaissance style) and the portal of the old cemetery (in Flamboyant Gothic style) date from 1525. The nave will in turn be restored in the 19th century.
Sainte-Madeleine holds the attention by the number of its jewels. It is one of the few churches in France to have preserved its Renaissance rood screen, in stone lace. The ambulatory shines with superb stained glass windows from the same period (1500) characterized by strong designs, shimmering colors and great technical refinement. Finally, in an aisle, stands the statue of Saint Marthe, one of the masterpieces of the master of Chaource.
31. Le Jardin de la Vallée Suisse*
Laid out in 1860 in the ditches along the old fortifications of the city, this garden of romantic design allows the walker to discover, along the paths, its multiple spaces. Its waterfall and stream are ideal for strolling.
With a hilly character, isolated from the surrounding boulevards, this garden is also of botanical interest. Area: 6,500 m² From the garden, you will also see sublime buildings.
33. Street Art*
In this city with medieval architecture, it is particularly rare to find examples of Street Art, as at 17 rue Grosley.
We see two faces painted on the facade. One on the right, by Pierre-Jean Grosley and the other on the left, by Robert Badinter.
There is a maxim above the front door "Observe man in general and defend him in a particular place" and below the smiling face of Robert Badinter, article 1 of the law of October 9 1981, abolishing the death penalty.
34. Synagogue et Maison Rachi***
La Maison Rachi welcomes you to the heart of the 17th century buildings of the Synagogue of Troyes around a program of visits and cultural mediations, throughout the year, according to formulas adapted to different audiences.
Meetings that transport you to the heart of the history of a thousand-year-old community and highlight the key figure in the history of the Jewish community of Troyes, Rachi, a famous Trojan exegete rabbi of the 11th century: who has become the benchmark for comments by the Bible and the Talmud, Rashi is still taught today to all Jews around the world, from the age of 5, in order to clarify the meaning of the text and better appropriate it. Come and discover its history and that of its disciples who, over the following centuries, radiated well beyond the borders of Champagne!
La Maison Rashi invites you on an incredible journey through time in an extraordinary building of 2000m² recently restored, the climax of which is in the reconstituted oratory and bet hamidrash (study room), which will immerse you in the Rashi's Medieval Troyes! You will also discover the restored courtyards and rooms, the splendid glass roof of the prayer room and the exhibition rooms for an innovative scenographic approach to the work and history of Rashi.
35. Eglise Saint-Nicolas et son square**
With the Saint-Rémi church, Saint-Nicolas de Troyes can boast of being one of the most attractive churches in the city. It is truly a museum of Fine Arts from the Middle Ages and the beginning of the Renaissance. Its construction began after the fire of 1524 and was completed around 1590. Leaning against the rampart, the church only received a facade in the middle of the 19th century, when the rampart which surrounded the town was destroyed. It has some remarkable statuary elements as well as a series of 16th century stained glass windows in grisaille enhanced with gold, stained glass windows which unfortunately have suffered the ravages of time. The stained glass gallery nevertheless allows them to be displayed in large format.
Even if it does not have an ambulatory, Saint-Nicolas proudly displays its three beautiful altars at its flat apse, all three highlighted by stained glass windows redone around 1900. If we add the neighboring side stained glass windows, we end up with a space which is magnificently dedicated to pious recollection and artistic contemplation
36. La Bourse Du Travail*
Formerly called La Halle aux Tissus, it became the Labor Exchange on February 11, 1905 to house trade union activities. They took possession of it in 1906 and was then abandoned. It was only very recently that it was rehabilitated into a restaurant.
In order not to forget its past, a thematic fresco has been created there.
The realization of this 16 m² fresco in two months was a real technical and human challenge representing approximately 1500 hours of work and was entirely financed by the City of Troyes.
37. Le musée du Vauluisant**
The Hôtel de Vauluisant is one of the few stone buildings in the city of Troyes from the mid-16th century. It takes its name from a refuge house which stood on its site and which belonged to the Cistercian abbey of Vauluisant, in the department of Yonne. It has a rich facade typical of Renaissance architecture, with its decoration of pediments, cartouches, cherubs, garlands. Extended in the 17th and 18th centuries, the pavilion is flanked by two turrets, one of which houses a spiral staircase. The conical roofs are adorned with elegant finials and surmounted by a sun and a moon. Purchased by the City in 1932 to create a Museum of Decorative Arts, it currently houses two: the Museum of Art Champenois and the Museum of Hosiery.
Musée d’Art Champenois
At the beginning of the 16th century, Troyes was the cradle of an exceptional school of painting, sculpture and stained glass. Dozens of masterpieces can be seen in the numerous churches of the city and of southern Champagne. The museum presents remarkable examples, notably in sculpture, the Virgin of Villenauxe, the Christ of Mercy, in painting, the Virgin in the red cloak and in stained glass, the panels of the Hôtel de l'Arquebuse by the master Linard Gontier.More information
Musée de la Bonneterie
Inaugurated in 1948, it retraces the past of a flourishing textile industry and underlines the very important economic and social role that this sector has played in Troyes. The collections consist of knitting machines and looms, the oldest of which date from the 18th century. , many knitted items (caps, embroidered or beaded silk stockings, etc.) and abundant iconography. A reconstruction of a 19th century craft workshop. and a film retrace the daily lives of workers, the speed of technological developments and the creativity of inventors in Aube. More information
38. Eglise Saint-Pantaléon**
During the Renaissance, the Saint-Pantaléon church was a parish of wealthy bourgeois, who did not fail to adorn it with works of art (statues, stained glass windows). After the Revolution, sculptures from the 16th century were brought together there. saved from other buildings, thus transforming it into a remarkable museum of Champagne religious statuary.
Authors place a synagogue here and then, from 1189, a half-timbered church dedicated to Saint Pantaleon, martyr (according to legend, his hands were nailed to his head in Rome in 304).
At the beginning of the 16th century, it gave way to a stone building, which the great fire of 1524 partially burned down. Nearby devastated land was annexed in 1527 to rebuild a larger church. In 1570, the lower parts were covered with a temporary roof and the upper parts were completed a century later. Around 1740, a bay and the classical style façade were added.
The exterior, sober, has a portal with two superimposed pediments and an astonishing octagonal bell tower. The interior creates a feeling of elevation due to the narrowness of the nave. The balcony that goes around it, the wooden barrel vault at 28 m and the large bay windows are remarkable.
The pillars carry a beautiful enfilade of two levels of statues. We can admire in particular, on the right on the first pillar, Saint Jacques by Dominique Le Florentin, master of the Trojan School, and on the second, Saint Barbara, holding a book and the truncated palm, masterpiece of Champagne sculpture. , the Chair of Truth, by the sculptor Simart (1806-1851), on the pillars before the altar, La Foi et La Charité (1551, Le Florentin), in the second chapel on the right, the very realistic polychrome group depicting L' Arrest of Saint Crépin and Saint Crépinien, patron saints of shoemakers. The church contains many other superb polychrome statues.
The historiated stained glass windows, often in grisaille, form a remarkable ensemble from the 16th century. The windows of the Story of Daniel and the Passion, dated 1531, mark a turning point for the Trojan School of painting on glass which had until then favored intense colours.
Description of the altarpiece
Upper part: on the left side, Esther is depicted prostrating herself at the feet of Ahasuerus, seated on his throne, to ask him for the deliverance of the Jewish people. In the center is The Triumph of Mordecai, Esther's Uncle; she is kneeling on the passage of the king mounted on a battle horse, and accompanied by the lords of his court. Aman holds the reins of his mount, others carry the royal standard. Behind him, a retinue of camels carry the treasures given by King Mordecai. On the dexter is Judith, who comes out of her tent and carries the head of Holofernes in a basket presented to her by her servant.
Lower part: the niche, which housed Saint James, now houses a statue of Mary carrying Jesus.
39. La maison de l'Outil et de la Pensée ouvrière***
This museum is located in a Renaissance-style mansion (1556) called Hôtel de Mauroy. It houses a collection of hand tools from the 18th and 19th centuries. In 65 showcases, 11,000 tools illustrate around a hundred trades in wood, iron, leather and stone.
This collection was initiated by Father Paul Feller, a Jesuit and professional who put his passion at the service of the transmission of knowledge.
The museum welcomes between 16,000 and 25,000 visitors a year. Each year, thematic events and exhibitions are organized by the Compagnons du Devoir du Tour de France.
40. La Place du Marché au Pain*
The Champagne Fairs, between the 12th and 13th centuries, took place mainly around the Saint-Jean-au-Marché church as well as in the adjacent streets and squares, specializing in one or more types of trade : thrift store, spices , poultry, drapery, salt room...
On this square stand the money changers, stockbrokers, often Jews or Lombards (northern Italy), many of whom have been living in Troyes for generations. Very close to here, rue de la Montée-des-Changes, the Hôtel des Angoiselles was built for a family of Lombard bankers.
Merchants from all over Europe bring their own coins, but only the currencies of the Counts of Champagne (the Provinois denier) or the King of France are used during fairs. Equipped with a precision scale, the changer weighs the coins, measures the alloy (precious metal content) and calculates the counter value. These transactions are taxed and are an important source of revenue for the county.
With the decline of fairs in the 14th century, this square was occupied by horticulturists and herbalists (it was then called Place du Marché-aux-Herbes), then in the 17th century. by bakers. This is how it got its current name.
41. Les Pans de bois de la rue Emile Zola***
At the intersection of rue Emile Zola and rue place Foch, you can admire one of the jewels and emblems of our pretty town of Troyes, the famous timber framing typical of medieval architecture.
Look how these colorful buildings with their exposed framework seem to lean.
Rue Emile Zola is now the city's main shopping street, filled with personal goods stores, a Monoprix and a few restaurants.
Aux alentours de Troyes
this church remains exceptional for its history.
Neolithic opidium, place of worship for the Celts, sanctuary dedicated to Mercury during the Roman occupation, Merovingian abbey and necropolis, priory and last stopover for pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela from the 12th century.
The historic building was listed as a monument in 1967. The church consists of a nave with a Gothic portal which was adorned with the arms of France, Burgundy and Champagne. Four crossings lead to a tower which surmounts the old 10th century altar. The second nave, located to the south of the first, is decorated with a series of statues. The south side aisle was removed in the 16th century and the north side in the 19th century.
Abbaye de Clairvaux
Founded by Saint Bernard in 1115, this abbey hosted up to 888 monks. A former Cistercian abbey, it was founded in 1115 by Bernard of Clairvaux and a few companions, sent by Etienne Harding, Abbot of Cîteaux. The personality of Saint Bernard gave him considerable influence. It belongs to the group of primary abbeys (first foundations) of Cîteaux, itself the very first abbey of the Cistercian order. It is by far the most prolific, with eighty daughter abbeys. It was suppressed during the French Revolution and in 1808, it was transformed by Napoleon into the largest prison in France.
Église Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Chaource
Gothic-style church, listed as a historical monument in 1840. Its Sepulcher Chapel has the most beautiful entombment in Europe.
The scene is strikingly realistic. On the slab of the tomb, the cadaverous body of Christ is lying, the torso slightly raised by Joseph of Arimathea who keeps the holy shroud raised. His face remains in shadow, because the hour of the Resurrection has not arrived. Nicodemus raises the shroud, he wears a pilgrim's outfit, carrying the purse. Marie is bent over, her face gnawed by pain. Saint-Jean is placed behind her. Marie-Salomé is slightly behind, hands crossed, eyes lowered. Mary Magdalene holds a vase of perfume. Marie Cléophas, wears the crown of thorns.
Fromagerie de Mussy à Chaource
Stéphanie and Christophe Callewaert invite you to discover their establishment (free visit gallery and video of the production), the manufacture of Chaource, artisanal (moulding with a ladle). They will also introduce you to other specialities: Délice de Mussy, real Mussy, double cream Mussy l'Evêque, Vieux Mussy Sec, Lys de Champagne Ardenne, Soumaintrain and other cheese delicacies. Please note: The Mussy cheese dairy offers guided tours for groups of more than 20 people. no guided tour for individuals.
Le Moulin de Dosches et les jardins
The Moulin de Dosches is the recent reconstruction of a windmill typical of those that were installed in Champagne in the 18th century. It is located in the municipality of Dosches, in the department of Aube.
It was built from October 2004 to October 2006, under the aegis of the Association des Moulins à vent Champenois on the plans of those of yesteryear.
It is an all-wood mill built on a pivot, that is to say, it must be rotated to face the wind for better efficiency. Despite the 28 tons of the mill, two men are enough to push the lever and turn the mill.
The mill is used for educational and exhibition purposes. As well as for the production of flour sold at the shop.
A traditional bread oven has been built near the mill, as well as an ancient garden
Château de la Motte-Tilly
The Château de La Motte-Tilly is located in the commune of the same name.
Its interiors have been listed as historical monuments since September 2, 1943. The castle, the chapel, the pavilions, the main courtyard, the entrance gate and, finally, the park, with its terraces and its canal have been classified as historical monuments since September 16, 1946. Open to the public since 1978, the castle is managed by the Center des monuments nationaux.